Sunday, September 23, 2007

Turning your room around

Okay, so we are all crammed into a little area of space for the next eight months or so…not fun! I don’t know about you but this is one of the main things that is driving me crazy! I am constantly thinking of ways that I can rearrange my stuff to make it more compact. Even just decorating a room can also make it appear larger. First, as the semester rolls on, papers and assignments will pile up, you may want to invest in a small plastic file box, it may seem silly now, but you will need a place to store your papers/assignments and this will definitely help you keep organized.

Next, it is always a good idea to stack things. When things are vertical it saves more space. Even if you can’t attach things to the walls, vertical crates or boxes are a good idea. Also you may not have enough closet or drawer space. Remember to keep in mind the clothes that will be bulkier for colder weather in the coming months. A good idea is to purchase under the bed storage, this can help storing clothes. Also to help save space in the closet single hangers with multiple bars can help hang jeans and such things.

To make a room appear larger, mirrors on the walls can help. Also do not leave the walls blank decorate them with things. There is still time to make your dorm ‘homier’ you do not want to live for the next eight months feeling crammed and uncomfortable. Yes, we have been here for a month and hopefully many of these things you have taken into consideration but I have seen those rooms that make me feel like I am in a hospital room, so don’t compromise for a dull ugly living space. Fix it!
For more information on space saving and decorating your room visit http://www.iamnext.com/living/dormdeco.html.

1 comment:

iLoVeyOuXoX said...

Hey, I thought the same thing about a dorm room looking so much bigger when it's decorated! My roommate and I have decorated the room so cute and we've just been adding stuff and reorganizing it all the time, and it really helps to feel more at home. My boyfriend's room is so boring, there's a rug on the floor but that's about it. It really doesn't feel that homey. Then again, his roommate's bed isn't lofted, and that's probably part of the problem. I'm sure the room would look better if the bed was lofted. Who knows, but his room definitely needs some color. My room has pinks, blues, purples, yellows, and it's just so fun to be in it!!