Friday, September 28, 2007

Purdue's Campus

One thing that led me to come to Purdue was the allure that the campus possessed. Upon coming here I knew I could see myself going here and absolutely loving it. From the red brick buildings to the flowing fountains every part of Purdue’s campus displays a unique beauty. I don’t even mind walking to and from class because the scenery in between the two destinations never has a dull point.

The fountains have a simple structure, although they also have a certain uniqueness to them. I think they add a lot to the campus. I also love the bell tower; you can see it from so many different spots on campus. Especially at night, when you are walking along Third Street toward campus, when the tower is lit up, is one of the prettiest sights you will see here at Purdue. There is also a lot of construction underway presently to make the campus even better! This is shocking because I believe the campus is already beautiful so improvements are a huge excitement! For example, the Neil Armstrong building, which is in its final stages of development is an example of a unique and beautiful new addition to the campus. They are also building a new dining court, the Wiley dining court. This is a nice addition also, although I am not sure we need another dining court, I am not complaining, it will be a nice alternative to the other food courts. I have also heard word of a new dorm complex going up across from Earhart, so we will see what happens with that. It is nice to know that they are continually updating campus and making it even better than it already is!

Many college campuses are really spread out and the walking distances to classes can be somewhat ridiculous. This is another thing that I like about Purdue. Although, it is a rather compact campus, it is nice in many ways. It makes it easy to walk to classes. From my dorm, Owen, it takes only about ten to fifteen minutes to walk into campus, which really is not that bad. The furthest dorm, McCutcheon, is only a mile walk into campus. It is nice to have buildings that are close together also so if you do have two classes in a row you are not late. Also, if you have a break you have time to study in a library instead of saving time to walk to your next class. To walk into town is even a walk able distance. All in all I think this makes everything very convenient. I love the architecture Purdue has and I am glad to say that I love every aspect of Purdue’s campus. Purdue also maintains its campus as well. There is never trash all over the ground or graffiti all over walls. For being a place where thousands of college kids walk through it daily, the up keep of campus is incredible. It is always neat and tidy. There are also cute traditions that go with many of these structures. For example, running through the fountain. Many people participated in this one during BGR week. Also, walking under the bell tower as a freshmen means that you will not graduate in four years. Yikes! Crossing the ‘tracks’ is a tradition that you are supposed to do as a freshman and then cross them again when you graduate from Purdue. These different little traditions make campus fun and kind of add a little humor to campus as well.

The union is one of my favorite buildings because I feel like it has everything. It is a cool place to go and hang out, have meetings, study, eat, bowl, and do many do more things. I think it is cool too how there is a hotel connected to it. This makes it extremely convenient for when visiting campus or when relatives come up to visit. It is nice to have a place right on campus to stay and be so close to everything the campus has to offer. Really the only thing that you need transportation to get to is places like Wal-mart, Target and the mall. Even if you have to go to these places though, they are all within about a ten minute drive or so. As many know there is the city bus that can take anyone to these places as well. Purdue really has a wonderful set up. It makes it easy and convenient for students to get to where they need to go pretty easily. This is a huge advantage of Purdue’s campus and a big reason I decided to come here. I hope everyone is enjoying Purdue and its campus as much I am! Until next time, GO BOILERS!!

2 comments:

sarcastic lobster said...

I completely agree with there being a special feeling whenever I'm on campus. It just felt like it was somewhere that was a tight knit community at a big school. The campus itself was a big reason in my decision to attend Purdue.

Insignificant Wrangler said...

Its weird to hear people say that Purdue feels like a "tight knit community" for me because it is such a big school. My undergrad campus was tiny (about 2000 undergrads) and everyone hung out in one spot: laying out on the campus green. While everyone didn't necessarily know everybody, you would recognize at least one out of every five faces that walked by.

Does Purdue have any "common" places like this?