Sunday, September 16, 2007

Toot, Toot "Boiler Up"



The days pass much more quickly when you have something to look forward to on the weekends and what better thing to look forward to than a Purdue football game. I love football Saturdays. You get all decked out in black and gold, grab some friends for brunch at Ford or join the tailgaters on Slater Hill, and then walk with the crowd of people to the stadium. Once inside I love standing on the bleachers and yelling “1,2,3,4 First Down,” cheering on the players, and joining in the wave (our wave skills are pretty impressive…normal, slow, and fast speed). Then we score a touchdown –I jump up and down, give high fives all around, and count along as someone is hoisted into the air. It’s a bonding experience with people you don’t even know, but will soon get to know after standing by them for eleven weeks. Plus a game just wouldn’t be the same without singing and dancing along to Shout at the end of the third quarter.

Let’s not forget about the band though. How great are they (minus the early morning pre-game songs before I am out of bed)!? I came from a small high school that could barely hold together a band so I never appreciated how much they reeve up the crowd and how entertaining they can be. Last Saturday I got to the game a little earlier than I normally do, and the band was so awesome! Everyone might not get to appreciate the formations they make on the field, but my roommate got a chance to sit in a box office and took these pictures. I was impressed! Throughout the game I always love watching the band members swinging and jumping around. How do they always have so much energy? They definitely pump me up during the game. I really appreciate all the long hours of practice they put in and the many hours of playing before, during, and after the game that make our football Saturdays so great!

No comments: