Saturday, September 15, 2007

Boiler Up!

“Boiler Up!” A phrase heard often around this vast college campus, but also a phrase that unites a school of more than 30,000 individuals. Each Saturday we wake up to the “Extra Special” parading down the street, honking its horn while the breakfast clubbers wander aimlessly down the streets in their unique costumes. It is almost like a notification to get up, to tailgate, and to get into the game with your close friends. This feeling is something I am not used to.I went to a relatively large high school, but we were not united. On Friday nights we would venture out to the local football game, but this experience is nothing compared to Big Ten Football. In high school, I would go the game with a few of my close friends. We would sit in the student section, compiled of the eager freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors in their spirit wear. I would only converse with my close friends and we would not even pay attention to the actual football game. In college, I venture to countless tailgates and meet a lot of new people. Once inside the stadium, I step into the “Black-out” section and am overwhelmed with a feeling of unison. We yell the infamous first down chant and jingle our keys at kick off. I don’t know many of these people, but we are all united over our love of Purdue football. I believe that at a school this size and this diverse, nothing is better than seeing a group of people come together over a common idea. Purdue Football is so much more than just a game. It is almost a lifestyle; one that unites a campus and encourages people to break out of their normal schedules and cliques. I love Purdue Football.

1 comment:

huntingfever11 said...

I feel the same way you do about big ten football being so much different than high school football. This weekend was my high schools homecoming so I went home for the game. Even though it was homecoming, the game was somewhat boring. I spent most of the time talking to old friends that returned for the game because I really wasn't interested in the game. Purdue football is almost an entirely different game. You can’t watch the came and not get somewhat excited. Also, all the students make the game all that much better. I can’t wait to see Purdue stomp Notre Lame in two weeks. That game will be intense. Go Boilers!