Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Football Tickets

I always knew football was big at Purdue, but I don’t think I really grasped the concept of how big. I did what I thought every student was supposed to do: I bought my season tickets and so far I have gone in for every home game. Recently a few of my family members decided that they would like to go to the Ohio State versus Purdue game, and asked me if I could pick them up tickets at the box office. I thought to myself, “sure, no problem,” but boy was I wrong. Tickets have been sold out for as long as anyone can remember. Luckily, the ticket office sometimes decides to open up more tickets for big games just a week or two before the game, and I got an email from the office just yesterday announcing this. The ticket office opens at nine, so I decided to blow off my 8:30 chemistry lecture in order to come wait in line from 7:30 til nine. Although I was an hour and a half early, I’m probably the fortieth person in line.

The way it works is that the ticket office makes five hundred more student sections available for each of the upcoming games, and each student is allowed to buy up to four tickets to each game. Tickets for the Ohio State game are going for around for close to a hundred bucks a pop, so waiting in line to get tickets for $65 is definitely worth it. My suggestion to all Purdue students would be to buy season tickets and to tell family members to plan months in advance if they want to go to a major game. Plus, if you buy tickets and end up not wanting them, there are always people outside of games trying to scalp some, so it’s very unlikely that you’ll lose your money.

After experiencing some of the craziness about football tickets here, I kind of assumed that it was the same at any major college, but this is not the case. I went down to IU last weekend to visit friends and I was able to buy a ticket to their game minutes before it started for only $20 at the box office. This probably has a little something to do with how good the football team is…
Anyways, regardless of what college you go to, any student who is interested in sporting event tickets should research how their school handles sales in advance in order to avoid not being able to get tickets. You should take into consideration how big each sport is at your college take into account that some games are bigger than others…

P.S. It was definitely worth getting here early and being able to set up camp inside the ticket office building - the hundred or so people in line outside just had to whip out their umbrellas
:)
)

No comments: