Monday, September 17, 2007

But there are only 24 hours in a day...

As college students, it’s often really hard to balance schoolwork, social life, extracurriculars, and sports. Personally, I’m a very social person and my major is challenging, and every day I feel like it’s a struggle to find time for everything. One thing that has really helped me keep from stressing out is making a ‘to do’ list. As I accomplish tasks, I cross them off and it makes me feel like I’m actually getting somewhere with everything I have to do. Also, I’ve been planning my week by the hour and deciding when I’m going to do what. I try to get all of my schoolwork done during the week so that I can have the weekends to go out and be with my friends. I also ask myself, “How am I supposed to find time to work out among all of this schoolwork?” I’ve decided that even when I’m swamped, it’s mostly mental and I actually don’t have as much to do as I think. Instead of sitting in front of my computer and trying to figure out where to start, I’ll go on a 20 minute run. It’s not forever, but it’s better than nothing, and it usually helps me relax, gather my thoughts, and take my mind off of schoolwork for a few minutes. Lastly, I’m learning how to take advantage of those awkward one hour breaks between classes. Instead of walking back to my dorm just to switch books and watch TV for 20 minutes, I find a nice spot in the shade and read or study or knock out a few math problems. It’s efficient, and I’m amazed at how much I can actually get done in an hour when I’m not distracted.

2 comments:

iLoVeyOuXoX said...

I make to-do lists too, and I've found them extremely helpful. I feel like I have so much to do and crossing one thing off my list just gives me a sense of accomplishment! I usually walk back to my dorm between my classes and now that you bring that up, I've noticed how dumb that is. So, I'm going to start taking extra homework with me so I can knock it out of the way when I have time instead of just wasting the time that I have. I'm sure this will really help me out a bit! I bet if I do that, I won't have as many things to put on my to-do list anymore!

Nasus said...

I completely agree that the 24 hours in each day is just simply not enough! As you have shown with the to-do list, it seems that organizing your priorities can be extremely helpful in taking off the stress. Often times when I am overloaded with homework I find myself unable to focus. I also enjoy taking a quick run to relieve myself from all the anxiety and strain. It seems to be a healthy and satisfying way to help me get through the day, and back to my list of priorities. I never thought about planning my day hour by hour, but I’m considering trying that next time I feel overwhelmed with homework. That would probably be very useful for those 1 to 2 hours breaks in between classes. It would be really interesting if you posted a blog about how to manage time better, or possibly relaxing things to do on weekends. This kind of blog is very helpful to brand new freshman college students, such a myself.