Wednesday, September 12, 2007

14 Do's

This is my sophomore year at Purdue. Last year I learned a few things from my day to day experiences and observations. Maybe they can help you too…

  1. Do take advantage of all PU has to offer. This sounds like something that your parents would say, but I am serious. Be active. Try something new. Walk down to Boiler Market and eat with your friends, join an intramural team, or go to a salsa club callout and take advantage of the free lesson.
  2. Do open your room door…it may seem awkward, but you’ll make the greatest friends in the dorms. The people you meet in your dorm will be the people you’ll always remember. You may remember them for something quirky they did, or they may become your best of friends. Give it a chance.
  3. Do realize that Facebook IS addicting. I know!
  4. Do take breaks from studying. It is a necessity.
  5. Do use your printing quota from the ITAP computer labs. It’s handy when you have breaks on campus, and you’re not wasting your ink and paper.
  6. Do study for a test more than just the day or two before. Tests are not like they were in high school. Yes, studying sucks, but it is much more bearable when you study in little chunks. You remember the information better. Plus it is much better than pulling an all-nighter and having to drink 4 cups of some caffeinated beverage before your test. Hopefully, I can save you a little pain by passing on this tip.
  7. Do take late night Wal-mart runs.
  8. Do check weather.com frequently. It will become your best friend
  9. Do remember to always have an umbrella in your bag. I have lived in Indiana all my life, and the weather is…well…erratic. The 50 degree morning is a prime example.
  10. Do go to games (football, basketball, soccer, track, swimming…). You don’t truly experience Purdue until you have been to a sporting event. The energy from the crowd is the greatest feeling. You’ll want to cheer, to clap and to yell “Boiler Up.” Be there.
  11. Do walk down the right side of the sidewalk. It’s just the way it is.
  12. Do always look at the color of the stoplight and for cars before crossing the street. Don’t just follow the crowd –the crowd can be wrong.
  13. Do ask for help from professors, TAs, or your classmates. If you don’t connect with your TA don’t worry. Find another TA, email them, or go to their office hours. I have found that people are generally very willing to help.
  14. Do know that it’s okay to stay in some weekends. Don’t think that everyone goes out every weekend –have a hall video game tournament or binge on Grey’s Anatomy. These nights can create the most lasting memories.


4 comments:

Lucy in the Sky said...

I'm in my second year at school as well and your list could not be more true. I especially like the advice about walking down the right side of the side walk (some people just don't get it) and also the one about staying in for a weekend. Sitting in front of the TV after a football game on Saturday for six hours can be the best thing for you. Just because it's Saturday doesn't mean you have to go out and get zapped.

And do go out and yell "Boiler Up"!

yum1234 said...

I'm a freshman this year, and I didn't realize how hard it was to study! I have 4 days before my exam and I am freaking out. The best advice I think that's on here is to start studying early. I think that from now on I will study a little bit after each lecture. Thanks for the tips!

skeetshooter15 said...

I have also lived in Indiana all my life but I have never walked anywhere because I lived in the country and I have never used an umbrella before. Needless to say as a freshman the first day of class was a wake-up call for me, I realized I needed an umbrella as I walked back to my apartment drenched. Apparently I was not alone though because I went to wal-mart that night to get an umbrella and they were sold-out.

The documentor said...

I do like what you said about crossing the street. I dont know how many times I have "followed the crowd" and almost got hit by a car. So now i ALWAYS look for the color of the light and since the I have had no more close encounters.