Saturday, September 8, 2007

Rainy Days

I have always loved rainy days. Nothing is better than snuggling up on the couch when its storming to watch a good movie, or falling asleep to the sound of light rain on the roof. However, now that I'm in college my opinion has changed.

I hate rain.

Everything about rain makes a college student's life miserable. Allow me to walk you through a rainy day at Purdue from a girl’s prospective. You realize it right away when you wake up; you now have an afro courtesy of the humidity. When you go to take shower your towel still isn’t dry from the night before. Everything in your room feels sticky and dirty. Although this makes for a very uncomfortable day, the rain does lead to some very amusing/annoying events.

You walk to class in flip flops. Every time you take a step your flip flops fling little chunks of mud onto the back of your legs. Not a pleasant feeling. The other day on my way to class, a city bus drove through a HUGE puddle right along side of the sidewalk…and yes, that’s right, completely soaked me from waist down with the splash. So much for the umbrella keeping me dry.

And then comes an event that will brighten anyone’s day, unless of course you are involved. As all of us with driver’s licenses should know, roads are very slippery when wet. Not only does this apply to cars, but bikers also face the same issue. Although you hear many squealing bike tires on the way to class, nothing is better than being at the right place at the right time, to see nothing better than a bike mishap. Today I saw a very speedy biker completely take out an innocent pedestrian because his brakes went out on the wet pavement. Although this is very unfortunate, I am ashamed to admit that I was very amused (along with the other fifty people on the street corner).

One last bit about rain. Our first home football game got poured on – never too much fun. Until next time…

4 comments:

deeeelish said...

haha! Dont worry about getting soaked by the bus, it happened to me my freshman year and I am pretty sure it happens to everyone at least once! At least now you know to walk on the inside of the sidewalk away from the street and if you hear a bus coming, it means to move farther away from the street! :)

agrarian said...

I totally agree with you. I felt the same way going into college. It was fun to play soccer in the rain and always exciting when the power at my house would go out during a storm. Then the first day of classes hit and it was raining! That wasn't fun at all. Walking around all day in wet shoes was not how I pictured starting off my college career. However, I thought the football game was a blast even when it was raining, although it would have been better if they evacuated the stadium before we all stayed through half time.

fake4444 said...

I have only been caught in the rain here twice so far this year. First day of classes it rained and my backpack got soaked even though I had an umbrella and it ended up frying my calculator for math. I went to the football game when it was pouring and managed to salvage my phone by putting it in a friend's bag but forgot about the ipod in my pocket and I was drenched. Let me give you some advice and say, don't get those wet, it starts flashing these crazy warning messages in German and makes this sizziling noise. I still love the rain though, just not when I have to walk or stand under it for long amounts of time.

mymanmitch said...

All in the timing. Since I have never really cared about any of the clothes I wear, I love walking in the rain. The best is any sport that is played on grass during a thunderstorm. I play frisbee, and nothing compares to diving for the catch, and sliding ten yards as a bonus. It's surreal. The problem with rain is when you carry stuff around that isn't waterproof. I still have my calculus book hung up to dry because that got soaked. Thought about getting a new one. Yeah, right.