Saturday, September 22, 2007

5K


Today was a great day. I ran a 5K hosted by Tippy Connect with two of my friends and my boyfriend. The race was a benefit for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Wabash Valley. The staff who organized the race did an excellent job. They provided drinks and food before and after the race. Also they stood along the running path and encouraged us as we ran by them. It was a great experience. It gave me such a sense of accomplishment.

It was a beautiful morning to go for a run. It was sunny, but still cool with a little breeze. The mayor of West Lafayette, Jan Mills, started the race off at 9:00am from Purdue West. I started out the race feeling pretty good…and then we ran up a hill. But once I set my pace I felt strong again. One of my friends and I helped push each other on. Sure my legs were tired, but there was the staff standing along the running path cheering us on which made it a lot easier to go on. There were also several policemen who very kindly blocked and directed traffic for us to ensure that no one was injured. Plus they handed out plenty of high fives along the way. The last half of a mile I was struggling, but I also think I ran it the fastest. It was –well breathtaking to catch glimpse of the finish sign and sprint past it. Needless to say I was out of breath when I finished. I felt great though, and next time I want to finish with a faster time. I love running because you are running against yourself and the clock. It depends solely on the individual effort you put in. You train, but not until the big race day do you really see the progress you have made.

There was about 70 runners this morning. There were many different people running. Moms and dads running with strollers, twenty something to 50 something men and women, people in shape, people working on getting in shape, and even a young girl. It was nice to look around and see all the different runners (and quiet a few of them pass me). I would like to think that twenty years from now I will still be running 5Ks.

All in all the 5K was extremely successful. I accomplished my goal, it made me want to run more races, and we raised money to help the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. I would definitely recommend running a 5K. You should grab a few friends to join you. It is a really good idea to run with other people who can train with you, push you, and encourage you. I can’t wait to run another one and beat my time.

No comments: