Monday, October 22, 2007

Under-recognized

I was really hoping to get to the PU women’s soccer game against Illinois yesterday, but I had a prior commitment and could not go. I have never been to a women’s soccer game, but I had been told by a fan that Sunday’s match up was going to be very exciting. I decided it would be a good first game to attend, and it was senior day. It definitely sounds like I was right –it was a good game. Today when I read in The Exponent about the game I was bummed I had missed the game.

The women’s soccer team beat Illinois 2-1 which placed the team 5th in the NSCAA National Rankings and ahead of all other Big Ten schools. When I was reading the article about the game I could tell the game had been intense and exciting. Unfortunately one of the seniors, Jill Sarbaugh, was injured while passing to another player. Sarbaugh nutmegged an Illinois player when she was injured. (Nutmeg means you pass the ball through the defender’s feet. I did not know this term, but it definitely sounds challenging to me.) The other girls pulled through and scored two goals after the scoreless first half.

It would be hard to be completely thrilled about the victory and top ranking when you had a fellow teammate injured at her senior day game. One of her teammates Stapleton was quoted in The Exponent as saying, "When you lose your best player, you go out and play for that person who can't be out there." In the article it said Coach Rob Klatte was sad along with the other players about Sarbaugh’s injury, but he said he knew the other girls would be playing for her and wanting to bring home a championship ring for her too. He also said she will be a great “vocal leader” on the sidelines. I think this is really great of the whole team to help Sarbaugh focus on the positives and give themselves wholeheartedly to winning the championship for her. It would stink to be injured when you were doing so well especially as a senior, but I would want to be surrounded by the encouraging teammates and coach it sounds like she has supporting her.

I think women’s soccer deserves much more recognition and appreciation for there accomplishments. I should have done a better job in the past of getting to the games, but I am going to try to go to future matches. The girls play here at Purdue on Friday, November 2 against Indiana who is ranked 24th overall right now. I would encourage anyone who reads this to write the date down on your calendars so you don’t forget. Plus it is free admission.

2 comments:

WhiteMachete said...

It's true, Purdue women's soccer deserves more recognition, especially when a large portion of the student body is complaining about how the football team can't win an important game. I think the reason why soccer or just about any other sport expect for football and basketball goes under the radar is that people derive more pleasure from playing the sports than watching them. I know if I was given the choice between watching a soccer game or playing one, I would probably choose to lace up my cleats and hit the field. There is a stigma in our culture that says sports are only entertaining if the teams can score a lot of points and the league has a lot of money. Soccer just doesn't fit in to those categories, whereas Football, Basketball, and sometimes Baseball, do.

yum1234 said...

I love the girls soccer team. I have a friend on the team and as a freshman is doing very well. I hope they can keep it up and win big. Its great because when I go to Ohio I can watch the games on TV and they even know about us!