Saturday, October 13, 2007

Learning the College Life

I have come to really enjoy my college experience thus far. I was scared upon coming here if I would truly like it or if I would feel overwhelmed and unprepared for such a big adjustment. First there was the whole living in this small little space with someone who is a complete stranger. This was my main concern. However, my roomate and I get along just well. The whole space thing isn't that bad either. I have learned to get used to it. I must say, however, that when I went home for October break my room seemed so much bigger because while I really only slept in my room back home I now live in a room that is about the same size. It was also extremely weird having my own personal bathroom instead of sharing one with bunches of girls.

I never thought that going home would be so weird, but the realization hit me that it will never truly be "home" again. Kind of sad in a way, but I wouldn't want to trade my college experience for anything. Being home was weird as well because of the fact that I noticed little changes in my town. Like how there is a new strip mall that was built and it has new stores in it. I thought it was funny how little things popped out to me because I really hadn't seen it in two months!

It's also weird how friendships change in college. Some of the people I was best friends with my senior year I barely talk to anymore. I know that we all have busy schedules with school and all, but it is sad to know that we all have different groups of friends now and other priorites and keeping in touch is not as easy as we thought it would be. I have met some wonderful people at Purdue though that I would never trade in for anything. I have built friendships that although we have only been here for about eight weeks it seems like we've known eachother forever. I find that I do not really even have time to call all my old friends. Between homework, classes, and all the other things to do in a day, I guess it is easy to forget.

Another weird thing is how strange it is to go out to eat or just eating on my own. I have become so accustomed to food being served buffet style, and having so many different options. Ordering off of a menu is just bizzare, and having a person give you your food...very weird. I remember the days also when I would pack a bag to go on vacation or stay at a friends. Now I pack a bag to go home? I though everything you needed was supposed to be at your house..nope not anymore my dorm is my home it feels and it has everything I need for the most part.

I also don't like the fact that my brother and sister are growing up so fast and I don't get to see it. I hate how I can't steal all my little sisters clothes and I can't take them with me! These things are overlooked however, which is bizarre in a way because once again with classes, homework and the other various activites we all have as college students, I guess I once again just forget.

Now however, I am very excited for breaks! It is my "catch up time", and it is something I know I will always look forward to. It will be nice on thanksgiving break because I know that all my friends will be coming home and all be in town. For fall break not many of my friends came home because they do not have a fall break. It will be weird to hear of their stories, their new friends, their new activites and everything else that they will have to say about their college experiences. I know one thing, my stories will all be very positive. It will be weird to see them because I am used to seeing them everyday and of them knowing about everything I do. Now I will have to tell them what I have been up to for the past couple of months.

So yes things change. Things change a lot, I expected it but it is weird just going through it all. I think it is just being a freshmen as well. Once the other years come it will be something we have all come a little bit more used to. We will grasp the fact that our old home isn't really home anymore, that people change, a lot, priorities change, and people grow up despite your being aware or being there to see it. It is these things that we as people, as students, will come to know all to well.

No comments: