Saturday, October 6, 2007

Staying Awake in Class

Being a college student, it is very difficult to get enough sleep. I am so busy with classes, studying, clubs, and meetings, there is literally not enough time in the twenty-four hour day, to get as much sleep as I need. Due to the lack of time, it is easy to find myself dozing off during a morning lecture or even an afternoon class. So, when I recently read the post “How to Stay Awake during Class”, it sparked my interest on this topic. I discovered some tips that really helped me stay awake and more alert during those tedious classes.
The first tip the article comments about is taking notes by hand. Although taking notes by lap top can be more efficient, it is easier for your mind to wander while you’re typing. Typing is so automatic it is hard to pay attention to the content of the class and stay focused. It is easy to lose your attention. It is also easy to become distracted by other things like face book and IMing. By writing the notes, it takes more concentration, so you have more time to soak up the information. It will also to force you to stay awake.
The next helpful tip is to eat healthy and stay hydrated. The article says that
“Carbs and proteins—can help energize you” so it would be a good idea to grab an apple banana or any healthy fruit when you are on your way to class. Fruits are loaded with carbs, so they should help you be more alert and you won’t find yourself dozing off as often. It’s also helpful to drink lots of water. Dehydration can make you very tired because your body isn’t getting the water it needs to funtion properly.
The last thing the article talk about is trying to be interested in the lecture. It might not be the most exciting class, and it might not be the most interesting lecture, but if you try to stay focused and learn what the professor is saying it will greatly increase your chances of staying awake. It is very easy to fall alseep listening to a boring monotone professor, but if you try and concentrate and remember what they are saying you won’t have time to fall alseep.
It’s also imporant to try and get enough sleep the night before the lecture. This combined with all the other helpful tips will make it easier staying awake. I know all of these things helped me stay awake and they can help you too.

2 comments:

lowdiver said...

Yeah I fall at least half asleep in class all the time. Although all you said is true to some point. I would suggest that you don't rely on just carbs too much. Carbohydrates are a fast energy source so if you plan on using them to stay awake through a lecture I suggest a lot of carbs and to eat them slowly through out the lecture.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link--I'm glad you enjoyed my post! Lowdiver has a good point--I also suggested eating slowly throughout the lecture. Aside from spreading energy out from eating carbs, the mere physical act of eating slowly will help you stay alert. :)