Monday, October 8, 2007

Shopping in West Lafayette

One thing I really miss about back home is that I could hop in my car and drive myself to a mall, which was about five minutes away. Now, being at Purdue and being a freshmen, means I’m car-less so I no longer have this advantage. I enjoy shopping and I find that since I’ve been here I have saved a good amount of money not doing it as often.
The closest mall is about a fifteen-minute drive. If you do not have a car and have to take the bus it takes quite a long time.
The mall is decent; it has good stores, necessary ones. It is not the best and personally I am not in love with any of the particular stores that it has. If you need a certain something, however, like for a special occasion it can most likely be found at this mall. To find out more about the mall’s stores visit the : Tippecanoe Mall website.
If your like me then you will not really want to go through the hassle of going to this mall unless you really need something. Mainly this is due to the bus experience, which was definitely not a good one for me, it took close to forty minutes to get to the mall and we had to change buses at one point as well…not fun. There are a couple alternatives to the mall; they consist of little clothing boutiques in West Lafayette.
One is located right next to Love shack around the corner from Chauncey. The name of it is Indigo. This store is very small, even smaller than my dorm room. It has rather plain shirts, but they are still stylish. It also sells jeans and fancier bottoms such as skirts and casual pants. This stores has a pretty good selection of jewelry, especially earrings. It is priced very reasonably, most shirts here range from about twenty to around thirty-five dollars and jewelry is not more than about fifteen dollars per piece. This also depends on what the piece of jewelry is and how much detail there is to it. Last time I was in the cashier told me that they get shipments in about every week, so if you cannot find something the first time you go in, you can always try a week later!
The other boutique is a little bit further than Indigo is. It is located by Scottie’s down by the Levee. The name of this store is Juniper. When I first visited this store the first thing I noticed was how helpful the staff was. They help you find exactly what you need. This boutique is a bit more pricier than Indigo is as well. It also sells the brand billabong here, which is more expensive than the other brands sold at this store. When I went here I also noticed that they sold a lot of dresses and cute fall coats. They have many cute shoes as well, and a good variety too. They have heels, flats, boot, sandals, ect. They also have a good selection of handbags and an excellent selection of jewelry.
The store is a nice size and it is a fun and unique store that I definitely recommend checking out.
If you are on a hunt for cool jewelry at a reasonable price, then you should go to Von’s. They have really cute and unique jewelry here and they have a huge selection of it as well. There jewelry also conveniently runs on the cheaper side. One bracelet that I got here was only two dollars! If you are looking for something specific that you cannot exactly find they even let you make your own jewelry here! They have a huge variety of beads and strings that you cant make necklaces and bracelets with. It really cool and they have a lot of different things here.
One last place I have discovered is a little bit different than any other clothes store I have been to. This store is called Amused Clothing. I am not sure that it is really my style, but it is a rather unique place. They sell mostly used clothing, but they change it from its original style. For example they will take a used shirt and cut it and tie the ends to change it up a bit. It’s kind of different. They also sell some new clothing here as well, I believe. They have a good quantity of clothes here and it is all pretty cheap.
I hope that if you are sick of traveling to the mall that you will enjoy these stores that are a little closer and in walking distance.

No comments: