Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Freshman Can't Bring Cars to Campus - Or Can They?

Coming into my freshman year in college I didn’t think I would mind not having my car to drive. However, I quickly became aware that if you are involved in many activities and have a lot of homework and a social life in addition to that, walking everywhere simply becomes not possible to pencil in to a 24 hour day. I’m in engineering and I’m also involved in the equestrian team at Purdue, and the barn where we ride is a whopping 25 minute drive. I made the decision to bring my own horse up to West Lafayette figuring I could hitch rides with other people out to the barn a few times a week. Although this has been possible, it has been a huge inconvenience for me and has put me through a lot of frustration. I’ve dealt with unreliable rides along with the issue of rides not being available at the times that work best for me. So I decided to convince my parents to let me bring up my car which leads to the question…

Where can freshman on Purdue’s campus park? It is possible to get a residence parking pass as a freshman, but there are pretty tight restrictions. Basically you have to have proof that you have a job or class off campus that meets a certain time requirement – which I don’t. This lead me to investigate the undercover places that freshman can park that no one wants us to discover.

The places that I discovered are on Waldron and Russel Street. These roads are pretty convenient to most residence halls, especially the ones on the north side of campus. The housing lining these streets are mostly sororities and fraternities with a few houses and apartments scattered in between. There is unmetered roadside parking, and you don’t need a parking pass to park there. Even though the parking is unmarked, I tested it out with my boyfriend’s car a few times when he came to visit and no problems so far. The only problem with these spots is that they are first come first serve, so there is always the risk of not being able to find a spot. If I discover new parking for freshman I’ll be sure to share…

1 comment:

yum1234 said...

I am a freshman with my car, and I love it. I park it either on Russel and Waldron and usually dont have problems finding a spot. Just make sure you know how to parallel park. But I feel so lucky to have my car because it really is an inconvenience.