Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Winter is coming...Bundle Up!

The weather is getting cold and walking to class is getting more unbearable. Unfortunately the freezing temperatures, cold winds, and possible snow are here to stay. Dressing warmly this winter will be really important for our health and comfort. During Thanksgiving break last year I got better winter gear for walking to class. I learned quite a few things after my first winter here on campus about how to stay warm.

Essentials for Walking to Class this Winter

  • LAYERS –Wear layers because you will be really cold walking to class and then sweating once you get into class. You'll want to have several layers to remove in buildings.
  • COAT –You definitely need a heavy winter coat. More than likely the winter coat you wore in high school isn’t going to cut it here at Purdue. (Thanksgiving break is the perfect opportunity to shop around.) You should look at several types to research the different options before you purchase one. I would recommend a down filled jacket that hits several inches below your belt. The longer the coat the warmer you’ll be because the wind won't get up it. And don’t just by a coat because it is fashionable –you’ll regret it believe me.
  • HAT –Make sure you are covering your head with a warm hat to prevent heat from escaping. The hat needs to cover your ears, too. A head band would be okay, but a full covering hat will keep less heat from escaping.
  • GLOVES –There a many different kinds of gloves: windproof, waterproof, mittens, wool, polar fleece…. My hands are always the first thing to get cold. I often wear mittens because they keep my hands the warmest.
  • SCARF –A scarf is a must with the Indiana wind. If you aren’t wearing a scarf up around your neck the wind will go right through you. Plus on some days when it was really windy I would wrap the scarf up farther and basically bury my face in it. It sounds silly and I probably did look silly, but it doesn’t matter because I was warm and I didn’t get wind burn. Wind burn stinks believe me. And guys I know scarves might not be your favorite things so you could try a neck gaiter which is basically a tube of fabric you put on over your head that keeps your neck warm.
  • SHOES and SOCKS –Besides your hands your feet get cold really fast. I would recommend waterproof shoes or boots with a good grip for icy days and heavy socks. Tennis shoes are definitely bad because your shoes and socks will get wet if it snows. Cold, wet feet are even worse than cold feet.

No comments: