Saturday, November 10, 2007

Purdue's Football Season




Today marked the end of Purdue’s home football games. I though it would be necessary to do a little home football game recap. So being a freshmen, this was the first time I went to multiple big ten football games. Actually, it was the first time I even had attended any college football game. I really enjoyed every game I went to and had a lot of fun being a Purdue fan. It was great to go to every game and see the awesome turn out of Purdue sports fans that would show up decked out in black and gold. I learned a lot of chants and learned how to be a true fan.


Every morning there was a 12 o’clock game people would be outside ready and yelling for the boilermakers at probably 7 in the morning. I got to hear every single one of them because my room is right on Stadium Avenue and is right near the stadium and my window is right by the street. As weird as this may sound however, I started to kind of anticipate it and almost look forward to this noise on game days. It got me up, ready, and pumped for the big game. Every time I would hear this yelling and loudness I was reminded that it was time to jump out of bed and go root on the boilermakers with the rest of the fans!

I really enjoyed tailgating as well. It was a time for me and my friends to get together at sometimes 8 in the morning and get each other excited and ready for the game. Also the food was good too. Although most of the time it was more of a lunch meal, I still enjoyed the grills going and cooking food this early in the morning. Football was a time for all Purdue students to come together and cheer on their team and hope for victory.

One of my favorite parts of these Saturday mornings was the people dressed up for breakfast club. I heard a lot of chatter during the weeks of upperclassmen discussing what they would be for the upcoming football game. They would come up with crazy costumes and get up as early as 5 in the morning to go to the bars in ridiculous costumes that I’m sure gave everyone a good laugh when they passed on the way to the game. I saw costumes like Hulk Hogan, making fun of celebrities, and teenage ninja turtles, to name a few that stuck in my memory. It was funny the first week of football games, when I really did not know what to expect. I was really confused when I saw people dressed up in outrageous costumes cheering for the boilermakers. I was thinking Purdue fans are kind of weird. However after a few home games and a few conversations explaining this tradition to me, I came to understand that this was something that I would get very used to seeing.

So every Saturday there was a home football game I looked forward to seeing this funny tradition. People can get very creative when it comes to these outfits. I look forward to seeing much more of this in the years to come as well as being able to dress up myself for these Saturday football games.

I am glad to say that I have really enjoyed every football game that I have gone to here at Purdue. It has been quite a positive and enjoyable experience. The fan turnout was always good, even when the weather wasn’t the best or when it was a long weekend when most people would go home.
Today was a very nice day to have our last home football game on, the weather was very comfortable. I dressed up thinking it would get cold and I was surprised to find out that I was not cold at all and I could really enjoy the game without being cold and shivering, most games were like this luckily.

So while the home football games are over, we can still look forward to the upcoming basketball season. I think this will also be really fun, I have never been to college basketball games either. So I’m sure I will come to find many new traditions that come with this sport as well. It is nice that it will be inside, as the weather will get colder. Basketball is one of my favorite games to watch because I understand the rules more and you get to sit closer so you can see more. I think it will be fun because all the fans will be able to be closer and it is inside so we can sound really loud when we cheer on Purdue.

I am very happy that I got the VIP sports package, now I can go to all the games here at Purdue that I want to. It is great to go see everyone so hyped up to support their team! I am definitely looking forward to every upcoming football season and I will definitely be getting tickets to every home game to come.

No comments: